Last year I took a break from heavier lifting for about 3 months as my hormones were all over the place! I was pushing my body too much at the gym for a long time which ended up taking a big toll on my body. The decision to stop training 5-6 days a week was extremely difficult for me but I knew it was what my body needed. So instead of completely cutting out exercise, I found some easy ways to keep active around the house (or while I was out and about) to keep my body moving but without putting a lot of strain on myself!
Many people I have spoken to find it hard to make time to get to the gym or may feel anxious about working out in a gym, so this is a great way to stay active in the comfort of your own home!
So here are some of my favourite lifestyle hacking tips and tricks that may help you as well:
- Squats while waiting for my food to heat up in the microwave. Keep going until your food is ready! Remember to squeeze those glutes at the top!
- Lunges to and from each room in the house. If you have a big house… GOODLUCK! 😀
- Use booty bands (which you can purchase here) and wear these around your ankles or thighs while your walking around the house, or even on the couch, to add extra resistance!
- During the TV ad breaks try: Crunches, walk sit, tricep dips on a chair or the couch, stationary lunges, pushups or try and challenge yourself to hold a plank until your tv show comes back on!
- Kick backs when brushing your teeth or cooking in the kitchen!
- 50 Step ups onto your bed or couch (before bed or before you sit down to watch something).
- Take the stairs!
- Walk around the house on your tippy toes to target your calves!
- House work (I know… not fun! But it has to be done). With all the vacuuming and cleaning you can burn quite a few calories!
- Go for a walk early in the morning before breakfast or if your feeling stressed. You’ll feel SO much better!
- If your going out, park a little further away so you can get in some extra steps! It all adds up 😉
- Laugh! Best type of exercise 😀
Remember if your goal is weightloss, your diet is responsible for 80-90% of your results! So as long as your eating clean, these easy extras thrown in during your day will help you towards your goals!