Okay, okay… so everyone knows I love my food. And over the last month (while settling into my new home in Wellington) I’ve been eating out a lot. Its been really nice and I’ve loved catching up with friends and family, but its also hard to get back into a healthy routine when you start being that flexible with your diet. So tonight, as I was craving something sweet, I didn’t want to go and buy anything full of bad sugar, instead I decided to try recreate a chocolate peppermint slice but using healthy ingredients & refined sugar free!
I sort of winged this one and I didn’t record the exact quantities I used, but this is gives you close enough instructions to what I did! I will usually taste the mixture as I go and make sure the sweetness etc is how I want it, so you may want to change yours up slightly 🙂
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (you can use what every flavor you desire)
1 cup of pitted dates
1 cup of oatmeal
3-4 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
2 tbs Stevia
Pinch of salt
1-2 cups of ground almonds
5 pitted dates
2 scoops chocolate protein powder
2 tbs sugar free hot chocolate
2 tbs stevia
2 tbs peanut butter
¼ teaspoon of peppermint essence
Sugar free chocolate
4 tbs coconut oil
Dribble of water
- Blend up all of the BASE ingredients (or mix with hands) until the mixture is sticking together.
- Press evenly into the bottom of a container.
- Pop base in the freezer while you make the filling.
- Blend the almonds and oats as well as the dates. Mix these in with the remaining FILLING ingredients.
- Taste mixture to see if its to your liking, you can always add more sweetener or peppermint essence etc if you prefer. (This is what I usually do, I hardly ever stick to the recipe LOL!)
- Layer this evenly on top of your base.
- Put back in freezer until the topping is ready.
- Melt the chocolate in microwave or over pot
- Mix in the coconut oil (add a little water if you need the mixture a little runnier).
- Can add more peppermint essence if you want!
- Pour the mixture over the top of the slice and leave this in the fridge or freezer for 30min before serving!
Happy baking friends!
If you have any requests, let me know 😀
Laura x x